TO BE SENT TO THE ASIAN STUDIES OFFICE:
- ___ Statement of Objectives*
- ___ A writing sample (a research paper or essay written in English, including citations, on an Asia-related topic)
- TEST SCORES
- ___GRE (U.S. Students)
- ___ TOEFL (Foreign Students) Minimum score–575
- ___ Letters of Reference (3)
(You may print the “Report on Graduate Applicant” forms)
- ___ Official transcripts from all institutions attended
- ___ Application for Graduate Award** (GTF) [Optional]
- ___ Chinese language tape** if applying for GTF in Chinese
- ___ Japanese language tape** if non-native speaker applying for GTF in Japanese
- TO BE SENT TO THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS:
- ___ Application for Graduate Admission (top copy of form)
- ___ Application fee ($50.00). This cannot be waived.
- ___ Transcript showing degree conferral
It is the candidate’s responsibility to ensure that these documents have been received by the Asian Studies Program and the Office of Admissions as indicated. Instructions are also printed on the back side of the Application for Graduate Admission. Additional items, such as financial statement for foreign students, may also be required.
* A page of statement of your interest in Asian Studies and your goals/career objectives is required. This statement provides a useful opportunity for the candidate to speak and offers the selection committee information not covered by the formal application.
** Graduate Teaching Fellowships are awarded once a year, in the spring, for the following academic year (September through June). If you are applying for a GTF, your application must be completed by February 15. The Asian Studies Program currently awards four .22 FTE GTF positions each year. Applicants for Chinese GTF’s much send a cassette tape with their application as explained on the list of criteria for awards. Those applying for language instruction GTF’s in Japanese must send a cassette tape if they are not native speakers. This requirement cannot be waived. Occasionally, one (or possibly more) of the five GTF positions is/are filled as a non-language position and is/are assigned to assist a professor or professors is an Asian related class.
A quarter time salary does not cover the total expense of living and study at the University of Oregon. Foreign recipients of these awards may need to provide documentation of sufficient additional resources in order to obtain a visa.